Sudoma Sawmill is a further timber processing plant
Sudoma Sawmill is an export-oriented enterprise, which produces wood construction materials.
Sudoma sawmill is the key enterprise of the Dedovichi production facility complex for deep wood processing. The timber mill produces ecologically pure wood construction materials with durability that lasts over 100 years: impregnated timber, thermo-treated timber and profiled goods. The output volume is 61.500 m3 of finished products annually. Sudoma is Russia’s only and one among few European enterprises, where wood impregnation technology is applied.
The plant uses the equipment from EWD, Weinig, Polytechnik and other leading world manufacturers, which is unique for Russian enterprises. The timber mill uses its own base of raw materials, supplied by Dedovichi logging unit, while the wood by-products are used for wood pellets production.
The sawmill manufactures top-quality finished construction materials
Working Life of 50-100 years
Environmentally friendly material
Wide Range of Dyes
The Dedovichi production facility complex for deep wood processing
The production facility complex for logging, wood processing and reforestation located in the village of Dedovichi, Pskov region of the Russian Federation is the GS Group investment project for deep wood processing.
The complex is an integrated closed-cycle production facility, which utilizes its own raw materials and is comprised of:
- The Dedovichi Logging Unit
- The Reforestation Unit – wood nursery cultivating 2 million seedlings annually by using ball-root system technology
- The Sudoma sawmill – An eco-friendly timber processing plant
Unlike many other companies, the Dedovichi complex provides an environmentally friendly waste-free recycling of its allocated forest resources with a rapid recovery that contributes to its own reproduction base. The project is designed an intensive forest management model that replaces hardwood with more valuable softwood. This is aimed at improving tree species and qualitative composition within the Pskov region’s forest resources.
The closed-cycle manufacturing of reproductive raw materials base is quite uncommon in Russia. The project was launched in 2012 and all the facilities will reach its planned capacity output by 2017. Total investment value is over 47 million USD.
Pskov region municipal officials and GS Group Holding Company officials signed the investment agreement for the implementation of “The Dedovichi production facility complex for deep wood processing” on July 18, 2012. The project is being undertaken in three stages:
1. Logging and reforestation.
- Between 2012–2014;
- Total investment: 7 million USD;
- Total forest area: 70,000 hectares;
- Total output volume (yield from the logging site): 291,000 m3 per year;
- The greenhouse complex area: 0,25 hectares;
- Cultivation of 2 million seedlings using ball-root system technology.
Seedling cultivation is one area of the project that aims at providing high-quality raw material for reforestation. Current nursery seedling manufacturing capacity is at 2 million seedlings per year. Part of these seedlings will be used for reforestation purposes within the logging unit’s activities and the other part will become commercially available. The nursery also features decoration bush cultivation. In addition, an arboretum was opened where coniferous tree species and decorative bushes are cultivated which are used in the landscape design and gardening of the city’s parks and squares.
2. The Sudoma sawmill is a further timber processing plant.
- Set into operation: 2015;
- Facility area 24,000 m2;
- Manufacturing capacity 150,000 m3 of raw material annually;
- Output volume 61,500 m3 of products annually;
- The second stage includes construction of deep wood processing unit;
- New workplaces: 235.
“The Sudoma sawmill construction project is unique for Russia and is extremely important for the region in terms of social and economical effects. The opening of the sawmill comes as part of a huge GS Group investment project of developing the Dedovichi production facility complex. As a result, the region will receive more than 7 million USD in investment and it will create 400 new jobs. Furthermore, it’s a great example of responsible forestry where materials in demand are combined with reforestation by more valuable species” — Andrey Turchak, Governor of Pskov region.
The mill produces high-quality finishing materials for construction purposes. About 40% of the products supplied will be dedicated as import substitutions to the Russian domestic market. The remaining 60% will be exported and made commercially available at affordable rates. Raw base material is sourced from the Dedovichi logging unit.
- Impregnated timber (wood that is impregnated with a special composition to prevent decay and other environmentally caused deterioration which is used for external work);
- Thermo-treated timber (wood that is subjected to thermal modification to improve its’ technical and decorative characteristics which is used for internal and external works). The thermal treatment of wood is done with French equipment and technology, a vacuum that heats up to 230°C;
- Planed and profiled goods.
“Investment return will be complete in full in roughly 8–10 years and will have a profitability around 9 percent. I believe this project will be highly effective and will eventually take over 15–20 percent of the Russian market share in roughly 6–7 and about 3–5 percent of market share in Europe with the proper support from authorities. The market value of products in Russia is at 1.5 billion USD and is followed by 12 billion USD in Europe. The current major high-end construction material suppliers to the European market come from China, Finland, and CIS where their market share total is over 60%.” — Narek Avakyan, AFOREX financial corporation analyst. *
* Comment, published by the “Kommersant” newspaper within the “GS Group enters the Pskov forests” feature from 12.08.2013